Morning Glory Cloud

Morning Glory Cloud
Morning Glory over Massacre Inlet (photo: Diane Davey)

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Too windy

In case you are wondering - I didn't forget to turn on the spot tracker. Unfortunately, the wind is still blowing  even stronger than yesterday so I decided the best place to be is on the ground. I have to admit, it was quite a difficult decision for me to make this morning. After yesterday's great flight, I was ready for more, I was really looking forward to getting back up above this amazing country. I'd have a tailwind again, a stronger one, so could even possibly make it to Burketown today - very tempting. But the strong wind also makes for turbulent conditions and take-off & landing can be tricky if the wind is strong and not in the same direction as the airstrip. Doing the trip by myself, there is no one to discuss things with, so I really have to rely on my ability to make the right decision, often with conflicting information which can be unreliable (sounds a bit like work!) As usual, it felt good to make the decision - funny how things just get easier once you make the decision.

The motel owner drove me out to the airport so I could check on the plane (no taxis here). The wind had been blowing all day and all night so I'm glad I had polished up my knot tying skills before I left Melbourne. Everything was just like I left it (you can relax, Geoff!)

I spoke to the folks at Burketown to let them know I'm still on the way. They said it hasn't been a good year to date for Morning Glories. Several people have packed up and left. I'm still hoping it's just waiting for me to get up there. Andrew and Ian got there in early October last year, so I think there is still hope. I'm really lucky to have the luxury of time - I get the feeling I'll need it on the way back too.

I've enjoyed the trip up to date more than I ever imagined I would. Sometimes I still can't believe I'm here, I'm doing it - and now it's just so close - from both geographical and fundraising perspectives. Thank you everyone for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment