Morning Glory Cloud

Morning Glory Cloud
Morning Glory over Massacre Inlet (photo: Diane Davey)

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Burketown Day 6 - Still worth waiting for


There was insufficient toad stepping going on this morning hence no morning glory. Maybe everyone will be desperate enough to do it tomorrow? Maybe not.  The forecast is still not looking very promising for the formation of the cloud, but that won’t stop me from trying.  Have a look at this video taken by Rob Thompson last year and you’ll see why.

Even without Morning Glory,  I’m still enjoying the early morning flights immensely. Russell and Erich went out in the Grob but the others didn’t bother.  “Monty” from Winton was in town so I took him for a fly this morning. He flies a drifter, but it was his first time in a glider and I’m pretty sure he enjoyed it.  I did a greaser of a landing in a pretty good crosswind, so I was quite happy with myself. Usually only happens when no one is looking.
It was a bit cooler this morning at 5am - Low twenties instead of mid twenties.  The cloud cover is clearing so looks like the day will still get to mid to high thirties again, good pool weather.  I’m going to freeze when I get back to Victoria!

Following the cloud sniffers to the coast

There appears to be something waaaaaaaay out over the Gulf - too far.

Back at Savannah Lodge - been trying to get a photo of this little cutie for days

Doesn't this just put a smile on your face?

Bananas anyone? There are also several mango trees laden with mangoes. Sadly, the mangos are not ripe either.

Can't come to Burketown and not take a photo of the pub. It's the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment