Morning Glory Cloud

Morning Glory Cloud
Morning Glory over Massacre Inlet (photo: Diane Davey)

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Heading Home - Long Way to Longreach

My mom has been following my trip from Quebec in Canada. Thanks to the time difference, I usually find a message from her every morning, commenting on my exploits. It’s a nice thing to wake up to (merci, mom!). She also sends me a message in the afternoon, which gets me before I go to bed.  The one she just sent me is short, sweet and just simply spot on. She says that the name of the place we got to today sums today up pretty well: Longreach.
It was quite a long day today. I was glad to have some company along the way. The guys from the Byron Bay area: Erich, Russell, Brian and Paul stayed on yesterday as we got back pretty late after riding the Glory. They will be leaving here tomorrow (weather permitting). I’m overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness these guys have extended to me. I’ve learned so much from each of them and have immensely enjoyed all the laughs we’ve had together. 
I’ve been looking forward to spending a bit of time in Longreach, so will spend at least a day here checking out the town and waiting for the weather maps to look less scary. I'll also write some more posts about the Morning Glory in the next few days too. The last two days have been pretty rushed so there was little time available for reviewing photos etc. 

No more salt flats and big winding rivers, back to scrub. Amazingly it's still quite green. Russell White, who has been doing the trip for over 20 years mentioned to me that he had never seen it like this - so green.

The clouds came out for a play


What a great day. It got even better after this photo. If we had more time, we could have all glided from Cloncurry to Longreach - big fat strong thermals not too far apart.

There is no place like cloud base. You can see the distance between the clouds pretty well in this photo by their shadows on the ground. The cloud streets did not line up with the track but they were not too far off so didn't get tooooo distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment