Morning Glory Cloud

Morning Glory Cloud
Morning Glory over Massacre Inlet (photo: Diane Davey)

Friday, October 15, 2010

Wet and Windy in Longreach

The weather I’ve been talking about in previous posts has arrived. The rain woke me up just before 6am – it felt like I was sleeping in!  I don’t think anyone in Australia east of Alice Springs from north to south stayed dry today. When I switched on the TV in the room, one of the morning shows was talking about this being the ‘biggest rain event of 2010’. It reminded me how much I don’t miss TV - except for Glee, of course. You’ve got to love Glee - if only because it irritates those who don’t love Glee (aka closet Glee lovers).
The last couple of days have been such a blur, it’s good to have a bit of time to reflect on what I got to experience on Tuesday morning. Very few people have had the opportunity to experience this unbelievable natural wonder. The Morning Glory is jaw-droppingly beautiful, majestic and peaceful all at the same time. It is humbling and exciting. It is mysterious and it is grand.
I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be one of the few people who get to experience it. Sure, it was something ‘on the bucket list’, something I really wanted to do, but just like really wanting to win the lotto, you know it’s probably never going to happen. That's kind of like I was feeling - I 'bought my ticket' (I flew up to Burketown) but I wasn't really going to 'win'. Not me! Turns out that this year, only two glider pilots got to experience the Morning Glory. Words cannot describe how it feels to be one of those two people, but tissues certainly come in handy.
I just can’t help thinking about how lucky I am to have regained my health and to have had support and help from so many people to make that amazing flight possible.  Thank you!
I also can’t help thinking about the many who are not so lucky and find themselves with health issues and are on their own or in need of some assistance, just to get through their day.  I’m very grateful for all the generous donations which have been made to the Stand By You Cancer Foundation as a result of my adventure.
The forecast for tomorrow is looking better. I hope to make it to Charleville and hopefully get to do the star tour at the observatory that I missed out on when I was there a lifetime ago (2 weeks ago?).
The internet connection here is woefully slow, so only a few pics today – sorry!
The Falke wondering what all the wet stuff is

My Stand By You shirt with signatures from most of the people I met in Burketown.

No comments:

Post a Comment